POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Normal bumpiness : Re: Normal bumpiness Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:10:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal bumpiness
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 18 Nov 2003 11:46:10
Message: <3fba4cd2$1@news.povray.org>
> I just discovered that each time I render the scene, the bumpiness stay
the
> same. Isn't a random function?

Povray makes use of pseudo-random streams, but for normals, it uses the
inbuilt patterns, and they're not random at all. And even if you use the
rand()-stream to actually randomize the "location" of the pattern, then it
will stay the same as long as the seed isn't changed. I'm not too sure about
different platforms though, some Guru needs to answer that.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>